TalkTheWalk 1: Bombay Balchao by Jane Borges
Jane Borges, author of the newly-released novel Bombay Balchão, will talk about fast disappearing, centuries-old Catholic neighbourhoods of South Mumbai, once part of the Native Town. Weaving stories from her book that has been inspired by the social histories of pockets like Cavel, Dabul, Sonapur and Khotachi Wadi, she will discuss how these areas thrived and flourished during Portuguese and British colonial rule, attracting Christian immigrants from Goa and Mangalore, who helped build the city. And, what has become of these pockets today.
Date: 18th Janauary 2020
Time: 6-7 PM
Meeting Location: Khaki Lab, 302, Hari Chambers, Shahid Bhagat Singh Road, Fort
Duration: 1 hour.
***Admission free. Prior registration required,***
About the speaker:
JANE BORGES is a Mumbai-based journalist. She currently writes on books, heritage and urban planning for Sunday Mid-day, the weekend edition of Mid-day newspaper. She co-authored Mafia Queens of Mumbai: Stories of Women from the Ganglands' with S. Hussain Zaidi in 2011.
For more information, feel free to call us on 8828100111 or follow Khaki Lab on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
Terms and Conditions:
- Age limit: 12 years and above.
- The right of the admission is reserved with the organiser.
- The organiser does not take the responsibility for the loss or theft of any personal belongings or any injury that the ticket holder may accrue at the event.
- Those who have registered online will get priority to sit before 6pm. After 6pm, those present will be allowed to sit on first come first serve basis.
- Smoking and drinking is strictly prohibited.
- Any inappropriate behaviour by any of the participants shall lead to eviction from the event.
- We recommend that you arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the starting time.
- The event organiser has the right to reschedule the event.