Calcutta boasts the oldest Chinatown in the world outside the sphere of Chinese cultural influence in Southeast Asia. The Chinese community from several villages in South China started arriving and settling in Calcutta, a thriving colonial capital, since the late 1770s. Soon they started calling the city home, with only formal ties with their original homeland.
The Chinese in Calcutta excelled as artisans and later, as restaurateurs, and built Taoist temples in their settlement in Tiretti Bazar. A thriving Chinatown thus came up in the center of the city, adding to the ethnic and cultural diversity to Calcutta.
In this walk, we will explore what remains of this Old Chinatown of Kolkata. We will visit 5 Chinese temples, learn about the Chinese culture and traditions unique to the Kolkata Chinese, and explore their connections with the Indian freedom movement as well as the Chinese revolution of 1911-12.
Date: 14th March
Start Time: 10:00 AM
Duration: 2 hours
Start Point: Ling Liang High School, Tiretti
Price: 850+ GST (Includes Cantonese snack packets)
Walk Leader: Dr. Tathagata Neogi
A pre-walk message with all relevant details will be sent to the contact number entered upon registration the evening before the walk.
All participants must strictly adhere to the following safety protocols in light of the COVID-19 pandemic:
- No last-minute walk-ins/registrations allowed
- Cash payments will not be accepted. Bookings will be confirmed only on receipt of payment via online modes.
- Participants must not attend the tour if they are suffering from any symptoms of illness. If you develop symptoms after registering for the walk, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org for a refund.
- Participants will be subject to thermal screening upon arrival at meeting point.
- Participants must wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth at all times.
- Participants must maintain a minimum distance of 1m from each other.
- Participants must carry their own hand sanitizers and water bottles.
In the event of non-compliance of the protocols mentioned above, Immersive Trails reserves the right to remove the concerned participant(s) from the tour at any point of time.
By registering for the walk, the participants accept responsibility for any adverse event(s) that may arise post the completion of the walk and cannot hold the management responsible.