Online Talk 1: #BajiRao300 by Dr. Uday S. Kulkarni
In the mid seventeenth century, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj founded the Maratha Swarajya, the Maratha kingdom, against the combined might of the Mughals, the Adilshahi, the Portuguese and the Siddi of Janjira. The long struggle for freedom didn’t end with Shivaji Maharaj’s coronation but went on till Aurangzeb’s death in 1707. Soon after, a kingdom under Chhatrapati Shahu took root at Satara, steered by his Peshwa (prime minister) Balaji Vishwanath.
On 17 April 1720, on the death of Balaji Vishwanath, his son Baji rao, not yet twenty years of age, was appointed the Peshwa by Chhatrapati Shahu. In the next twenty years and eleven days, Baji rao converted the small Maratha kingdom into an empire - from the Chambal and the Yamuna to the Tungabhadra. It was the last indigenous empire of India before the British Raj took over in the early nineteenth century.
#BajiRao300, our online #TalkTheWalk with Dr Uday S Kulkarni, author of the critically acclaimed book ‘The Era of Baji rao’ tells the story of Baji rao, the Peshwa who never lost a battle, on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of his ascendance to the title of Peshwa.
About the speaker:
Dr Uday S. Kulkarni, a surgeon by training and a historian by passion, is the author of ‘The Era of Baji rao: An account of the empire of the Deccan’. He joined the Indian Navy in 1979 and served in the defence forces for sixteen years, taking voluntary retirement in 1995 in the rank of Surgeon Commander. He began practicing as a surgeon in Pune and while continuing his surgical practice, he returned to his love of history in 2010 to write ‘The Solstice at Panipat’, an account of the third battle of Panipat. He has also written ‘James Wales: Artist and Antiquarian in the time of Sawai Madhavrao Peshwa’ and translated and edited ‘Bakhar of Panipat’ with Ninad Bedekar.
Charges for participation Rs. 199/- (Use code "Discount" to avail 50% discount for students and senior citizens)
Date: 17th April 2020
Time: 10.30am IST
Duration: 1hour + Q&A
What You Need To Get Started:
- An internet connected computer, laptop, or mobile.
- Zoom app downloaded on your computer, laptop, or mobile. You can download the zoom app from https://zoom.us/download.
- A webcam (optional)
- Zoom link / ID and Password to join the online talk. The Zoom link will be sent to registered attendees 45 minutes before the start of the online talk.
- To join the online talk, click the link in the email received from KHAKI Lab.
- You will be directed to the Zoom website and from here you will need to click ‘Open URL:Zoom Launcher’.
- If you are new to Zoom, a pop up box will open asking you to complete your registration. Please enter your details in this box and ensure you use your full name so that the online talk host can identify who has joined the online talk.
- If you already have a Zoom account, you can just sign in to Zoom to join the online talk.
- If you are asked to sign in to your existing Zoom account and you have forgotten your password, select the “Forgot?” link and follow the instructions on the screen.
- If the online talk window isn’t loading, close your browser and try to join the online talk again. Be sure to accept or approve any alerts requiring your approval to install the Zoom online talk application, and turn off any pop-up blocker that could be preventing the Zoom online talk window from opening.
- In case you may have any bandwidth issues, it is advised that you keep your video off
After joining online talk on Zoom:
- When you have joined the online talk, please ensure you have a working speaker so that you can hear the presentation.
- Please ensure that your microphone is on mute. If not so then the host of the meeting will be allowed to do so on your behalf.
- You can check and manage your audio in the audio section of Settings (Windows) or Preferences (Mac).
- Q&A will take place after the talk.
- All questions to be typed on chat.
- You can type your question in the chat section (To Everyone) so that the speaker and all attendees can see who has asked it.
- Once you have sent your question, the speaker has the option to either answer your question live or by text.
- We recommend that before you sign in to the online talk on time, please spend at least 15 minutes checking that you have the correct system requirements.
- You will waste time if you do not do this in advance of the online talk as we will start promptly at 10.30 am IST. Since this is a paid online talk, we will not be able to make refunds due to system access (All details about system requirements for zoom can be found https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-for-PC-Mac-and-Linux).
- One ticket gives access to one person, please do not share the meeting link, ID and Password with other people. If an unregistered person is found attending the online talk, he/she will be removed from the online talk.
- Event starts at 10.30 am IST sharp. Late entrants will not be admitted.
- You may or maynot choose to keep your webcam on.
Terms and Conditions:
- Age limit: 12 and above.
- The right of admission is reserved with the organizer.
- Any inappropriate behavior by any of the participants shall lead to eviction from the event.
- The event organizer has the right to reschedule the event.
- The recording of this event maybe posted online at a future date.