#OperaHouse by Khaki Tours
Scores of years before the Kala Ghoda precinct was identified as the art district of the city, this extreme end of ‘Native Town’ was the hub which witnessed over half a century of cultural evolution as it gave rise to the most prominent musicians, writers, actors, painters, filmmakers, sculptors and singers of their times. Finally in 1911, the Royal Opera House was inaugurated as if it was the jewel in the crown that this area had developed in the preceding five decades. Louis Rousselet, a French traveler, writer and photographer visiting Mumbai of the times felt that the art scene was so vibrant in this area that he likened it to Rue Breda of Paris’s Montmartre.
Date: 19th January 2020
Starting Time: 8 am
Starting Point: Royal Opera House, Charni Road
Duration: 2.5 Hours
Distance: 2 Kms
Charges: Rs 699/-
Please use the code ‘discount’ to avail 50% off for students and senior citizens.
Highlights of the walk:
- Manto’s Bridge of winds
- Maker of the original Sai Baba idol
- Indian voice in the outer space
- Lady with a lamp
- Origins of Calendar Art
- First Hindustani musical “classes”
- Jinnah’s Mumbai connections
- Birth of Faster Fene
- A ‘fascist organization’ that made musicals
- Benham’s ‘Hole’
- Raja Ravi Verma’s Muse
- A male performer who was a trendsetter in women’s fashion
- Organization that fought ‘Racism in art’
- First Indian photo studio to have a branch in London
- And of course, the Royal Opera House from outside!
For more information please call Khaki Tours (8828100111) or follow Khaki Tours on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
Terms & Conditions :
- Though there is no age limit for the walk, participants should be physically fit to walk a distance of approx 2 kms in approx 2.5 hours.
- Tickets once booked are not refundable and will not be adjusted against any other event.
- The right of the admission is reserved with the organizer.
- All participants will be given a tag with their name on it and it should be displayed till the end of the event.
- The organizer does not take the responsibility for the loss or theft of any personal belongings or any injury that the ticket holder may accrue at the event.
- Smoking and drinking is strictly prohibited.
- Any inappropriate behavior by any of the participants shall lead to eviction from the event.
- We recommend that you arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the starting time.