#SwaadDesi - How Indian is our food?
In an age of world cuisine and fusion food, one would assume that national boundaries around food would have blurred. Instead, food, like other cultural constructs - language, dress, music, knowledge and more - is being categorised into ‘native’ and ‘alien’.
But culture is not frozen in time, nor is it monolithic. Our cultural identity is in a state of constant flux and endless transformation and change. In ‘#SwaadDesi - How Indian is our food’, cultural expert Sohail Hashmi looks at our food and at the resources that have shaped our culinary traditions, and takes us through an exploration of identity and culture, through food.
About the presenter:
Sohail Hashmi is Delhi’s Mr. Heritage. A geography scholar, he writes, conducts heritage walks, makes documentaries and more. He loves to travel, take photographs and, most importantly, eat and cook.
Charges for participation Rs. 199/- (Use code "Discount" to avail 50% discount for students and senior citizens)
Date: 28th April 2020
Time: 6.00 pm
Duration: 1 hour + Q&A
What You Need To Get Started:
- An internet connected computer, laptop, or mobile.
- Zoom app downloaded on your computer, laptop, or mobile. You can download the zoom app from https://zoom.us/download.
- A webcam (optional)
- Zoom link / ID and Password to join the online talk. The Zoom link will be sent to registered attendees 45 minutes before the start of the online talk.
- To join the online talk, click the link in the email received from KHAKI Lab.
- You will be directed to the Zoom website and from here you will need to click ‘Open URL:Zoom Launcher’.
- If you are new to Zoom, a pop up box will open asking you to complete your registration. Please enter your details in this box and ensure you use your full name so that the online talk host can identify who has joined the online talk.
- If you already have a Zoom account, you can just sign in to Zoom to join the online talk.
- If you are asked to sign in to your existing Zoom account and you have forgotten your password, select the “Forgot?” link and follow the instructions on the screen.
- If the online talk window isn’t loading, close your browser and try to join the online talk again. Be sure to accept or approve any alerts requiring your approval to install the Zoom online talk application, and turn off any pop-up blocker that could be preventing the Zoom online talk window from opening.
- In case you may have any bandwidth issues, it is advised that you keep your video off
After joining online talk on Zoom:
- When you have joined the online talk, please ensure you have a working speaker so that you can hear the presentation.
- Please ensure that your microphone is on mute. If not so then the host of the meeting will be allowed to do so on your behalf.
- You can check and manage your audio in the audio section of Settings (Windows) or Preferences (Mac).
- Q&A will take place after the talk.
- All questions to be typed on chat.
- You can type your question in the chat section (To Everyone) so that the speaker and all attendees can see who has asked it.
- Once you have sent your question, the speaker has the option to either answer your question live or by text.
- We recommend that before you sign in to the online talk on time, please spend at least 15 minutes checking that you have the correct system requirements.
- You will waste time if you do not do this in advance of the online talk as we will start promptly at 6 pm IST. Since this is a paid online talk, we will not be able to make refunds due to system access (All details about system requirements for zoom can be found https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-for-PC-Mac-and-Linux).
- One ticket gives access to one person, please do not share the meeting link, ID and Password with other people. If an unregistered person is found attending the online talk, he/she will be removed from the online talk.
- Event starts at 6.00 pm IST sharp. Late entrants will not be admitted.
Terms and Conditions:
- Age limit: 12 and above.
- The right of admission is reserved with the organizer.
- Any inappropriate behavior by any of the participants shall lead to eviction from the event.
- The event organizer has the right to reschedule the event.
- The recording of this event maybe posted online at a future date.