#StitchesInTime - The World of Parsi Embroidery by Ashdeen Z. Lilaowala
Parsis trading with China in the 18th and 19th centuries brought back exquisitely embroidered textiles from China. Their life-like motifs became a big hit with the Parsi ladies, and soon, these fabrics started getting custom-made for them, most famously as the Parsi gara sarees, not only in China, but in India as well. In the early twentieth century, these embroidered fabrics went out of fashion for a variety of reasons. In the late 20th century, they came to be treasured as family heirlooms, leading to a revival of interest in them. In our Online Talk, textile designer Ashdeen Lilaowala traces the roots of this unique craft tradition, explores the significance of its motifs and highlights his attempts to adapt and modernise this traditional craft into contemporary global fashion.
About the speaker:
Ashdeen Z. Lilaowala is a textile designer, author and curator who graduated in textile design from the National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad. An ELLE young designer award recipient, he is also a part-time lecturer at the National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi, and a freelance fashion and travel writer. His seminal research on the traditional and vanishing craft of Zoroastrian Kusti weaving has been published as a book, Threads of Continuity – The Zoroastrian Craft of Kusti Weaving. His collections can be viewed and purchased at ashdeen.com
Charges for participation Rs. 199/- (Use code "Discount" to avail 50% discount for students and senior citizens)
Date: 24th June 2020
Time: 7.00 pm
Duration: 1 hour + Q&A
What You Need To Get Started:
- An internet connected computer, laptop, or mobile.
- Zoom app downloaded on your computer, laptop, or mobile. You can download the zoom app from https://zoom.us/download.
- A webcam (optional)
- Zoom link / ID and Password to join the online talk. The Zoom link will be sent to registered attendees on email 45 minutes before the start of the online talk.
- To join the online talk, click the link in the email received from KHAKI Lab.
- You will be directed to the Zoom website and from here you will need to click ‘Open URL:Zoom Launcher’.
- If you are new to Zoom, a pop up box will open asking you to complete your registration. Please enter your details in this box and ensure you use your full name so that the online talk host can identify who has joined the online talk.
- If you already have a Zoom account, you can just sign in to Zoom to join the online talk.
- If you are asked to sign in to your existing Zoom account and you have forgotten your password, select the “Forgot?” link and follow the instructions on the screen.
- If the online talk window isn’t loading, close your browser and try to join the online talk again. Be sure to accept or approve any alerts requiring your approval to install the Zoom online talk application, and turn off any pop-up blocker that could be preventing the Zoom online talk window from opening.
- In case you may have any bandwidth issues, it is advised that you keep your video off
After joining online talk on Zoom:
- When you have joined the online talk, please ensure you have a working speaker so that you can hear the presentation.
- Please ensure that your microphone is on mute. If not so then the host of the meeting will be allowed to do so on your behalf.
- You can check and manage your audio in the audio section of Settings (Windows) or Preferences (Mac).
- Q&A will take place after the talk.
- All questions to be typed on chat.
- You can type your question in the chat section (To Everyone) so that the speaker and all attendees can see who has asked it.
- Once you have sent your question, the speaker has the option to either answer your question live or by text.
- We recommend that before you sign in to the online talk on time, please spend at least 15 minutes checking that you have the correct system requirements.
- You will waste time if you do not do this in advance of the online talk as we will start promptly at 7 pm IST. Since this is a paid online talk, we will not be able to make refunds due to system access (All details about system requirements for zoom can be found https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-for-PC-Mac-and-Linux).
- One ticket gives access to one person, please do not share the meeting link, ID and Password with other people. If an unregistered person is found attending the online talk, he/she will be removed from the online talk.
- Event starts at 7.00 pm IST sharp. Late entrants will not be admitted.
Terms and Conditions:
- Age limit: 12 and above.
- The right of admission is reserved with the organizer.
- Any inappropriate behavior by any of the participants shall lead to eviction from the event.
- The event organizer has the right to reschedule the event.
- The recording of this event may be posted online at a future date.