#UrbanQuenchers - The Pyaavs of Mumbai By Ar. Rahul Chemburkar
Through the 18th and 19th centuries, Mumbai’s wealthy citizens built ‘pyaavs’ (drinking water fountains) for the use of the public and draft-animals. Though altruistic in intention, there is often an element of architectural grandeur to these structures to commemorate their benefactor. Now in disuse, as the city has moved on, they are nevertheless important as mirrors of the socio-cultural ethos of their times. The dire need to conserve them for the modern city has been recognised, and architects, historians and bureaucrats have joined hands to restore them back to their original glory. In our Online Talk #UrbanQuenchers, architect Rahul Chemburkar takes us on a journey across the city to shed light on this unique socio-cultural heritage of Mumbai - the pyaavs.
About the speaker:
Rahul Chemburkar is an alumnus of Sir JJ College of Architecture and has been active in the field of heritage conservation and awareness since his early years as a practicing architect. He is a member of the Executive Committee of the Indian Heritage Society and is empanelled as a Heritage Conservation Consultant with MCGM and State Archaeology Department of Goa among others. He and his team have successfully executed several heritage conservation and architectural projects including conservation of Nana Phadnavis Wada at Menavli and the conservation of pyaavs and colonial-era milestones in Mumbai.
Charges for participation Rs. 199/- (Use code "Discount" to avail 50% discount for students and senior citizens)
Date: 27th May 2020
Time: 7.00 pm
Duration: 1 hour + Q&A
What You Need To Get Started:
- An internet connected computer, laptop, or mobile.
- Zoom app downloaded on your computer, laptop, or mobile. You can download the zoom app from https://zoom.us/download.
- A webcam (optional)
- Zoom link / ID and Password to join the online talk. The Zoom link will be sent to registered attendees on email 45 minutes before the start of the online talk.
- To join the online talk, click the link in the email received from KHAKI Lab.
- You will be directed to the Zoom website and from here you will need to click ‘Open URL:Zoom Launcher’.
- If you are new to Zoom, a pop up box will open asking you to complete your registration. Please enter your details in this box and ensure you use your full name so that the online talk host can identify who has joined the online talk.
- If you already have a Zoom account, you can just sign in to Zoom to join the online talk.
- If you are asked to sign in to your existing Zoom account and you have forgotten your password, select the “Forgot?” link and follow the instructions on the screen.
- If the online talk window isn’t loading, close your browser and try to join the online talk again. Be sure to accept or approve any alerts requiring your approval to install the Zoom online talk application, and turn off any pop-up blocker that could be preventing the Zoom online talk window from opening.
- In case you may have any bandwidth issues, it is advised that you keep your video off
After joining online talk on Zoom:
- When you have joined the online talk, please ensure you have a working speaker so that you can hear the presentation.
- Please ensure that your microphone is on mute. If not so then the host of the meeting will be allowed to do so on your behalf.
- You can check and manage your audio in the audio section of Settings (Windows) or Preferences (Mac).
- Q&A will take place after the talk.
- All questions to be typed on chat.
- You can type your question in the chat section (To Everyone) so that the speaker and all attendees can see who has asked it.
- Once you have sent your question, the speaker has the option to either answer your question live or by text.
- We recommend that before you sign in to the online talk on time, please spend at least 15 minutes checking that you have the correct system requirements.
- You will waste time if you do not do this in advance of the online talk as we will start promptly at 7 pm IST. Since this is a paid online talk, we will not be able to make refunds due to system access (All details about system requirements for zoom can be found https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-for-PC-Mac-and-Linux).
- One ticket gives access to one person, please do not share the meeting link, ID and Password with other people. If an unregistered person is found attending the online talk, he/she will be removed from the online talk.
- Event starts at 7.00 pm IST sharp. Late entrants will not be admitted.
Terms and Conditions:
- Age limit: 12 and above.
- The right of admission is reserved with the organizer.
- Any inappropriate behavior by any of the participants shall lead to eviction from the event.
- The event organizer has the right to reschedule the event.
- The recording of this event may be posted online at a future date.