Imagine a day writing code just for the love of writing it beautifully! A day without the office pressures of "getting things done" … a day just focused on practising the art of writing clean, lean, modular and test-driven code… Welcome to the Global Day of Coderetreat, an annual global event where passionate programmers come together to hone their skills.
Last year's GDCR had more than 130 events in more than 100 cities with more than 2000 developers involved! GDCR 2019 will be held on 16th November 2019 across many cities around the world… and will involve many many programmers worldwide. This is the 10th anniversary of Coderetreat. We expect this year's event to be huge and very memorable.
- Bring your laptop with your favourite language and IDE installed
- Code in any language of your choice
- Pair with different developers
- We will take care of lunch and snacks
What is Coderetreat?
- Invented 2009 by Corey Haines et al, 2019: 10th anniversary
- Retreat (noun): Time taken to reflect or meditate
- 1-Day Public Learning Event for Software Crafters
- Free of charge community event
- 4-7 sessions of 45 minutes w/ swapping pairs, retrospective, and challenges
- Deliberate practice of good techniques like TDD, Pair Programming, Paradigms
- Focus on getting things well (as opposed to getting things done)
Sample Structure of a Coderetreat
|09:00 ||Welcome by the Host/Sponsor|
|09:10||Introduction by the Facilitator|
|09:30||1st session, 10:15 retrospective, break|
|10:30||2nd session, 11:15 retrospective, break|
|11:30||3rd session, 12:15 retrospective, lunch|
|13:30||4th session, 14:15 retrospective, break|
|14:30||5th session, 15:15 retrospective, break|
|15:30||6th session, 16:15 retrospective, break|
|16:45||Goodbye from Facilitators and Host/Sponsor|
Are there any prerequisites for joining this Coderetreat?
Yes: You should want to join the Coderetreat, and you should love programming. That's it. No matter whether you're a greenhorn or an old stager, everyone is welcome.
What programming language will be used?
Do I have to bring my own laptop?
It's strongly recommended that you bring your laptop. Each pair should have a good development workstation.
Do I have to pay for breakfast / lunch / tea break?
No need to pay for yourself. Amdocs will sponsor the food.
Do I have to pay for participation?
Of course not! It's a coderetreat!